General News
Assemblies of God Ghana Clears Headquarters Loan, Slashes Overdraft by GH¢3.2m
Assemblies of God Ghana has fully settled the Ecobank facility that was used to finance the construction of its headquarters, while significantly reducing its bank overdraft by about GH¢3.2 million, according to the church’s 2026 financial report.
The church disclosed that the Ecobank facility was completely repaid ahead of schedule in July 2024, relieving the organisation of a major financial obligation.
The Greater Accra East and Greater Accra West regions of the church have also cleared their indebtedness to CalBank arising from the acquisition of a retreat centre at Shai Hills.
General Superintendent of Assemblies of God Ghana, Rev. Stephen Wengam, said settling the headquarters mortgage had eased a significant financial burden on the General Council and the church’s local congregations.
According to him, the mortgage previously required the church to make monthly payments of approximately GH¢800,000.
He described the repayment as an important development for the church, given the scale of the financial commitment involved.
The church’s audited accounts further show a sharp decline in its bank overdraft.
The overdraft dropped from GH¢3.45 million in 2024 to GH¢244,921 in 2025, representing a reduction of about GH¢3.2 million, or roughly 93 per cent.
Long-term loans also declined substantially during the period, falling from GH¢9.4 million in 2024 to GH¢4.99 million in 2025.
However, the church continues to carry some long-term financial obligations. These include GH¢1.16 million owed to Ecobank and GH¢3.57 million owed to Prudential Bank through facilities obtained on behalf of Prime Insurance for working capital.
Rev. Wengam also reported significant growth in the organisation’s finances, saying the church had recorded what he described as 200 per cent financial growth between 2024 and 2026.
“Between 2024 and 2026, we have experienced 200% financial growth,” he said while presenting comparative figures from the church’s audited accounts.
The 2025 financial statements indicate that the church’s total assets increased from GH¢66.5 million in 2024 to GH¢67.2 million in 2025.
Property, plant and equipment recorded a more notable increase, rising from GH¢35.6 million to GH¢42.1 million over the same period.
The improvement in the church’s financial position has also been accompanied by efforts to ensure that funds are transferred to its regions and districts on time.
According to the Treasurer’s report, however, the General Council still has several financial commitments to meet, including support for some agencies and departments.
The church is also preparing for the Centenary City project, while outstanding regional levies stood at approximately GH¢1.75 million as of April 30, 2026.
Assemblies of God Ghana said all returns due to regions that had submitted their manual returns had been paid up to June 2026, with payments for July being processed.
The financial disclosures are part of reports being presented at the 32nd Biennial General Council Meeting of Assemblies of God Ghana.
The meeting is being held from August 18 to 22, 2026, at the Pentecost Convention Centre at Gomoa Fetteh.
Source: Citi Newsroom
General News
GRIDCo Announces 15-Hour Power Outage in Parts of Accra as Emergency Tower Works Continue
The Ghana Grid Company Limited (GRIDCo) has announced a planned 15-hour outage on the V19HV and V24H transmission lines on Sunday, August 23, 2026, to allow engineers to continue emergency tower replacement works on the 161kV Volta–Achimota transmission line.
The notice was contained in a letter dated August 21, 2026, addressed to the Managing Director of the Electricity Company of Ghana (ECG).
According to GRIDCo, the emergency works involve the replacement of transmission tower T.09(01/02), located on the Ashaiman section of the Volta–Achimota 161kV transmission line.
GRIDCo explained that the tower replacement works were not fully completed during the earlier exercise conducted on Sunday, August 16, 2026.
The company said additional work is therefore required to complete the project and ensure the safe and reliable operation of the transmission line.
“As planned,” the company stated, the tower replacement works will continue on Sunday, August 23, 2026, during which an outage on the V19HV and V24H lines will be granted from 3:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m.
The scheduled duration is 15 hours, covering the period from 3:00 a.m. until 6:00 p.m. on Sunday.
GRIDCo has consequently requested the Electricity Company of Ghana to make the necessary load-management arrangements to facilitate the execution of the emergency works.
The affected areas listed in GRIDCo’s work schedule include Nima Township, Kanda Highway, Kanda Estate, Sulana, Kokomlemle, Circle, Madina Township, Okponglo, Cantonment, Osu Oxford Street, James Town, Mamprobi and Chorkor.
Other affected locations are Sempe, parts of Kaneshie, the North Industrial Area, Okaishie, Adauome, Agbogbloshie, Kantamanto, Adabraka, parts of Ridge, Tesano, Santanna Market, parts of Alajo, Malam Atta Market, Asylum Down, Labone, Kojo Sardine and Teshie Rasta Road.
The information forms part of GRIDCo’s emergency work schedule for the 161kV Volta–Achimota transmission lines, with the affected areas listed under the first day of the emergency works.
The transmission company stressed that the continuation of the work is necessary because the replacement exercise could not be fully completed during the previous outage period.
The letter was signed by GRIDCo Chief Executive, Ing. Frank A. Ochtere, and copied to the Minister of Energy and Green Transition.
GRIDCo, which describes itself as the “Backbone to Power Delivery,” said the additional work is intended to support the safe and reliable operation of the transmission network.
Residents and businesses within the listed areas are therefore expected to make appropriate arrangements for the scheduled outage on Sunday, August 23, while ECG undertakes the required load-management measures during the 15-hour maintenance window.
The exercise is part of ongoing emergency interventions on the transmission infrastructure to address the affected tower and complete the replacement works on the Ashaiman section of the Volta–Achimota 161kV transmission line.



General News
Adamus Resources Gets 12-Month Reprieve as Government Seeks Mine Turnaround
The Government of Ghana has given Adamus Resources Limited a fresh opportunity to revive and restructure its mining operations following a meeting at the Presidency aimed at resolving the dispute between the mining company and the state.
According to a statement issued by the Presidency on Friday, August 21, 2026, the Ministry of Lands and Natural Resources, the Minerals Commission and Adamus Resources have been directed to develop a 12-month roadmap to turn around the operations of the mine.
The roadmap is expected to provide a structured plan for restoring the mine’s operations and addressing the financial and operational challenges confronting the company.
As part of the arrangement, a six-member management team will be established to oversee the turnaround process. The team will comprise three representatives from Adamus Resources and three representatives from the Government.
The management team will supervise the implementation of the agreed measures and work towards ensuring the sustainability of the mining operation.
The Presidency said the agreement was reached after a meeting focused on resolving the dispute between the Government and Adamus Resources and finding a way to preserve what it described as one of Ghana’s few operating indigenous large-scale mines.
The 12-month roadmap will also include measures to address financial obligations owed by Adamus Resources.
The company is expected to develop a plan for settling its outstanding liabilities to the Ghana Revenue Authority (GRA), the Minerals Income Investment Fund (MIIF), financial institutions and suppliers.
The arrangement is intended to help improve the company’s financial position while creating a more sustainable path for the mine’s continued operation.
The Government and Adamus Resources will also explore ways of injecting fresh capital into the mining operation.
This will include the possibility of inviting additional partners to invest in the company by taking up equity in the mining business.
The move is expected to provide the capital needed to support the turnaround of the mine and strengthen its ability to operate sustainably.
The two sides have been given two weeks to complete the proposed roadmap and present it to the Presidency.
The roadmap will therefore serve as the immediate framework for implementing the new agreement between the Government and Adamus Resources.
The latest development comes shortly after the Government upheld the revocation of three mining leases held by Adamus Resources at Akango, Salman and Nkroful following a prolonged dispute over alleged regulatory breaches.
The leases were initially revoked in April 2026 after investigations by the Minerals Commission, with the Government citing alleged breaches of Ghana’s mining laws. Adamus Resources subsequently challenged the decision and maintained that the revocation process was unlawful.
Following the company’s petition, the Government constituted a review process to consider its concerns. On August 10, 2026, Lands and Natural Resources Minister Emmanuel Armah-Kofi Buah upheld the revocation after receiving the review committee’s findings.
The Government subsequently directed the Minerals Commission to assume administrative responsibility for the mine.
The new arrangement announced on August 21 now provides a fresh framework for the Government and Adamus Resources to work together towards resolving the challenges surrounding the mining operation.

General News
GRIDCo Restores Power to All Areas Affected by System Disturbance
The Ghana Grid Company Limited (GRIDCo) has announced the full restoration of power supply to all areas affected by a system disturbance that occurred on Thursday, August 20, 2026.
In a press statement issued by its Corporate Communications Section on Friday, August 21, GRIDCo said the restoration exercise began immediately after the disturbance, with its engineers and technical teams across the power sector working to return electricity supply to affected communities.
According to the company, power had been fully restored to all affected areas by 12:03 p.m.
GRIDCo said the swift restoration followed the coordinated efforts of its engineers and other technical teams who worked diligently to stabilise the system and reconnect affected areas.
The company expressed appreciation to stakeholders for their cooperation and support throughout the restoration process, as well as to members of the public for their patience and understanding.
“GRIDCo will continue to implement measures to strengthen the reliability, stability, and resilience of the transmission network,” the company said.
The latest update comes after the system disturbance disrupted power supply in parts of the country on Thursday.
GRIDCo, which was incorporated in December 2006, is responsible for the economic dispatch and transmission of electricity from wholesale suppliers, including Independent Power Producers (IPPs), to bulk customers and distribution utilities in Ghana and West Africa.
The company became operational on August 1, 2008, following the transfer of the Transmission System Department and its core staff from the Volta River Authority (VRA) to GRIDCo.
GRIDCo operates Ghana’s National Interconnected Transmission System (NITS) and currently transmits electricity to 33 bulk customers and distribution utilities from 11 wholesale suppliers, including the Volta River Authority.
The company has assured the public that efforts will continue to improve the reliability, stability and resilience of the country’s electricity transmission network.
UPDATE – GRIDCo PRESS RELEASE POWER RESTORATION UPDATE_21Aug26
General News
Suspect Arrested Over GH¢430,000 Robbery at Buipe Cattle Market
The Savannah Regional Police Command, working with the Anti-Armed Robbery Unit and the Police Intelligence Directorate, has arrested a 28-year-old man in connection with the robbery of two Mobile Money vendors at the Buipe Cattle Market, where GH¢430,000 was reportedly stolen.
The robbery occurred on June 29, 2026, at the Buipe Cattle Market in the Savannah Region. Following the incident, the Inspector-General of Police deployed personnel from the Anti-Armed Robbery Unit to support the Savannah Regional Command in investigating the case and tracking down the suspects.
According to preliminary investigations, four men armed with two pump-action guns, a single-barrel gun and an AK-47 assault rifle attacked the two Mobile Money vendors.
The suspects allegedly fired their weapons sporadically during the attack before escaping with GH¢430,000.
After weeks of surveillance and intelligence-led operations, the Anti-Armed Robbery Unit, working with the Police Intelligence Directorate and the Kintampo Divisional Police Command, arrested one of the alleged gang members, identified as Yacouba Oumar, 28, on July 23, 2026.
Oumar was arrested at Soronuase in the Bono East Region.
During interrogation, the suspect allegedly admitted taking part in the Buipe robbery and named his alleged accomplices as Yakubu Seidu, alias Baba; Abdulai Aziz Yahaya, alias Addo; and Abduli Buipe, also known as Addo.
He further told investigators that the gang had allegedly been contracted by a cattle trader operating at the Buipe market, identified as Alhaji Yacouba, also known as Masaji, Muimen, or Yakubu, to carry out the robbery.
The police subsequently expanded their operations to several locations, including Atebubu, Soronuase, Agogo and Dawadawa, in an effort to locate other members of the alleged syndicate and recover weapons believed to have been used during the robbery.
During the operation, police officers reportedly engaged some of the suspects in an exchange of gunfire.
The confrontation resulted in the deaths of Yakubu Seidu, Abdulai Aziz Yahaya and Oumaro Amadu.
The bodies of the three suspects have been deposited at a morgue for preservation and autopsy.
Following the operation, the police recovered one pump-action gun together with five live BB cartridges. A single-barrel gun believed to have been used in the Buipe robbery was also retrieved.
The police say suspect Yacouba Oumar remains in custody and is assisting investigators with the ongoing probe.
Meanwhile, efforts are continuing to locate and arrest Alhaji Yacouba, the alleged person who contracted the gang, as well as other individuals suspected to be connected to the robbery.
General News
Energy Analyst Calls on GRIDCo to Explain Recurring Power Outages
The Director of the Africa Sustainable Energy Centre, Justice Ohene-Akoto, has challenged the Ghana Grid Company (GRIDCo) to provide clearer and more detailed explanations for the recurring power outages affecting parts of the country.
His comments follow another major power interruption recorded across several areas of Ghana on Thursday, August 20, 2026, raising renewed concerns about the stability and reliability of the national electricity transmission system.
GRIDCo explained that the latest disruption was caused by a major fault on the Akosombo–Volta transmission line. According to the company, the fault resulted in the automatic shutdown of the Akosombo generating units, as well as some thermal power plants, leading to the widespread outage.
However, Justice Ohene-Akoto believes the explanation does not sufficiently address the broader concerns surrounding repeated disturbances on the national grid.
Speaking on Channel One Newsroom, he called for greater transparency from GRIDCo, arguing that the public and key stakeholders deserve to know the technical circumstances behind the repeated failures.
“We think GRIDCo is not telling us something. We think GRIDCo should be more transparent on exactly what some of these things are happening,” he said.
Justice Ohene-Akoto suggested that problems with the frequency of the national grid could be contributing to some of the recent system disturbances.
He explained that he had previously raised similar concerns following an earlier total system collapse. At the time, GRIDCo attributed that particular incident to lightning, a position he said he was not convinced by.
“I came out saying it’s likely an issue of frequency, I mean, of a frequency that was out of range, that we had a total failure. GRIDCo came out and said it’s a result of lightning, which I have my reservations about. I believe GRIDCo was not telling us something,” he stated.
According to him, subsequent comments from the Energy Minister about frequency-related challenges have strengthened his earlier concerns.
“Now, on this issue, the Minister came out and said frequency, which I agree with him,” he added.
The energy expert wants GRIDCo to go beyond announcing the immediate cause of major outages and provide comprehensive investigations into what actually triggered the failures.
He proposed that after every significant system disturbance, GRIDCo should publish a detailed root-cause analysis explaining what happened, what contributed to the incident, the lessons identified and the measures being introduced to prevent similar occurrences.
Justice Ohene-Akoto said such reports would also make it possible for stakeholders to assess whether the company was addressing the fundamental weaknesses in the electricity transmission system.
“If they came out to give us a comprehensive root cause analysis and a comprehensive roadmap, we’d have held them accountable with this one,” he said.
He also raised questions about whether the construction of a new ultra-modern control centre would, on its own, solve the technical challenges confronting Ghana’s power system.
He cited a previous fire incident at a substation as an example of an event that, in his view, should have been prevented through stronger systems and safeguards.
“An example is the fire, I mean, the substation that caught fire. That should have been something that should never have happened,” he said.
He further cautioned that investing in new infrastructure without first addressing existing technical weaknesses could leave the underlying problems unresolved.
“I’ve seen the Minister saying, ‘We are going to build an ultra-modern control centre.’ If the underlying issue were not resolved, we are going to burn the control centre as well,” he added.
Justice Ohene-Akoto is therefore urging GRIDCo to make its troubleshooting reports, lessons learned and corrective action plans available to the public.
Justice Ohene-Akoto is calling for GRIDCo to make detailed reports on major system failures available to the public, including the causes of the disruptions, lessons identified and measures being taken in response.
-
Education1 week agoOnline Classes and Education: Are They the Future of Learning?
-
General News2 weeks agoAbla Gomashie to Account for Tourism, Culture and Creative Arts Sector at Government Accountability Series
-
Entertainment2 weeks agoDomestic Tourism In Ghana Grows 7% As Visits Reach 1.79 Million In 2025
-
Entertainment2 weeks agoLet Them Come Home: Ras Caleb Urges Africa to Embrace Diaspora Returnees
-
General News2 weeks agoSammy Gyamfi Dismisses GH¢200m GoldBod Theft Claims as ‘Laughable’
-
Entertainment2 weeks agoGov’t Allocates GH¢20m Film Development Fund To Boost Ghana’s Film Industry
-
General News5 days agoKFC Ghana Faces Legal Scrutiny Over Customer Safety During GH¢15 Anniversary Promotion
-
Entertainment2 weeks agoSay a Prayer and Make a Move – Sarkodie to Fans
